After reading this post: What makes “the office job” such a predominant soul crushing monster? on reddit.com, I came up with this list of ways to make the office job less “soul-crushing”.
1. Work on side projects and hobbies – We spend too much time at work, thinking about work, commuting to and from work, dreading coming back to work, etc. Spend some time on your own interests.
2. Care as little as possible – This doesn’t mean do nothing at work or do a poor job. By all means, do the best job as possible while we’re stuck here. We just have to learn to stop thinking about it once we’re out of the office. We have to stop bringing things home. Don’t worry about anything. If it needs to be done, get it done, but don’t worry about it until absolutely necessary.
3. Talk to everyone – We need to spend as much time socializing at work as possible. This will help pass the time and make the day more enjoyable. Even if the people are terrible, it’s not that hard to bullshit with them for five minutes a day. By socializing, we become friends with others and generally enjoy the day more. It also helps build confidence and will eventually help to make more money. And hey if we have to have our souls sucked out we might as well make decent money.
4. Take breaks – Stop eat lunch in the cubicle. We have to get up at least twice a day to go for a walk around the building or outside. If the smokers can do it, we can too.
5. Cut down or cut out the caffeine – Caffeine makes people antsy and pee a lot. It makes it hard to focus on work. When I drink a lot of coffee, I will eventually drink more and more of it until I’m hopelessly jittery. It’s expensive too. And we’re trying to save money to quit our soul sucking jobs so we might as well stop blowing it on caffeinated water.
6. Sit as little as possible – I know this is hard. Like above, take breaks and walk around. Get a small water bottle and fill it up often. Go to the bathroom. Print from the printer across the room. Talk to people. Do anything to spend as little time sitting as possible. Our bodies will thank us. There are tons of studies out there now about how sitting kills people slowly. Most of us can’t get a stand up workstation or a treadmill desk. Standing up just to stretch helps too.
7. Eat healthy and exercise – The only thing worse than sitting at a desk all day is sitting there stuffing our faces with junk food. Eat as healthy as possible. Exercise regularly. Check out r/fitness and start lifting weights a couple times a week. This won’t counteract the sitting, but it will help.
8. Decorate the cube – Get some nature pictures up there. Cover the gray. It’s terrible.
9. Play pranks – This is just fun.
10. Don’t sit when at home – This is a big one. Stop watching television before 9pm. Cook some real food while standing. Go out and exercise. Walk around the neighborhood. Play with the kids. Basically do anything but crash on the couch. Our bodies will feel better. This also helps a lot with feeling like we’re not wasting our lives. When I sit all day and come home to watch TV, I feel like the time flies by and makes the office job suck even more.
What else can we add to this list?